Thursday, October 7, 2010

keeping it "EVEN"

"EVEN" can't be done. THAT'S NOT FAIIIIRRRRRRRR!!! i used to say to my parents. LIFE IS NOT FAAAIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRR! they used to say back. oh how true their words were. life certainly is not fair and we don't all live "even" with one another.
i remember when i was pouring two glasses of milk. one for me and one for hansell, my friend. for those that know my hilarious friend, you can probably picture the exchange. i was hunched over to make sure that i had evenly dispersed the milk and she was just standing there. she interrupted the madness with...LIZ, it doesn't have to be EVEN. gimme the milk.....! ok i laugh so hard now at how ridiculous it is to always measure everything.
i was the oldest child and let's face it...oldest children always get to do more than their younger siblings. i got to stay up later, have a tv in my room, go on out of town trips with friends. it was not fair and certainly NOT "even".
now i do this as a mother. i try to keep things "even" but it does not work and the cycle continues. i do know that i will also repeat to my kids the "life is not fair" part also. this is especially true spiritually. is it fair for the unethical, cheating team to beat the fair team? nope, not fair...and they win the trophy! or the friend that spends her days and nights studying to be #1 in her class, becomes #2 because the "valedictorian" cheats on her final exam. oh well, life's not fair. i think i want to have a t-shirt that says that instead of life is good. it is WAY more practical. life is NOT fair, not "even", and....are you listening?.. it is NOT ABOUT ME! what? here i go again with my not about me tyrant. life is not fair, not about me, and fill in the blank________________give up? designed for God and ONLY HIS glory. sorry to all of the "winners in life" we are going to probably forget what you won. UNLESS you use it to His glory. then we will forget what you won and remember HIM. not fair? i KNOW. but oh soooo GLORIOUS! i am reminded of this passage in Corinthians:

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

is it fair that all run a race and train just as hard as the next guy and only one wins the prize? seems uneven and unfair. life is not fair. man is it NOT! but, i am going to strive to run the race in this life to HIS GLORY. i fall off the path, He picks me up. i stagger along, he massages my cramping muscles. i lose my running mates, He runs along side me. i do not win the "trophy"! but all along, i have been running with The Prize. a promise that He will never leave my side. eternity beginning at the finish line. i CAN'T wait to see his face. join me? man, what a race! how sad to run it alone. i won't do it! it is truly not "even". i am only made whole and "even" with Jesus Christ. the one who died for me.
don't do it alone. trust me, don't count on others to pick you up.....they are all pushing each other off the path to win a fleeting trophy that will end up in an estate sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment